Thanks for taking the time to work on this patch.

Since the config/auto/backtrace.pm has not generated any configuration
or build failures for me on either Linux or Darwin, the most I would be
able to say is whether it does me any harm on either of those systems.

It did no harm on Linux, where it appears I do have the backtrace functions:

Determining whether libc has the backtrace* functions (glibc only)...cc
 -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-D_GNU_SOURCE  -I./include -c test.c
cc  -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-E test.o  -o test  -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt
-lutil -lpthread
..yes.
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        verbose => undef,
);

Nor did it appear to do any harm on Darwin, where it appears I do *not*
have the backtrace functions:

Determining whether libc has the backtrace* functions (glibc
only).../usr/bin/gcc-3.3 -fno-common -no-cpp-precomp  -pipe
-I/usr/local/include -pipe -fno-common -Wno-long-double   -I./include -c
test.c
test.c:5:22: execinfo.h: No such file or directory
test.c: In function `main':
test.c:15: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
...no.
Setting Configuration Data:
(
        verbose => undef,
);

But I don't think we should apply it until (a) we get additional failure
results on systems closer to yours; and (b) we have determined that it
does no harm on other OSes.

Compilation gurus?  Have at it!

Thanks again.

kid51