Andy Lester wrote:
Anyone out there using Eclipse? I figure there might be value in its ability to handle large codebases all at once.

Any pointers for startup and using the existing parrot project?

I know Eclipse a bit from Java development. You'd probably want to start with "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers" or "Eclipse Classic" from <http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/>. If I got this right, all packages contain the core platform and a set of default plugins, though you can always change your mind what plugins you want later on. I usually start out with "Eclipse Classic." C/C++ support lives in the CDT plugin <http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/>. See also <http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/moreinfo/compare.php>

For Subversion integration I use Subclipse <http://subclipse.tigris.org/>. For Perl there's EPIC <http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/>, though I have never used it. Plugins can be installed by opening Help -> Software Updates, adding the Update URL as Remote Site and select the plugins you want.

Eclipse projects live in a workspace, which also contains all settings. I usually just create a workspace directory in my home directory and make Eclipse use it by default. You can change your mind with File -> Switch Workspace or the "-data <dir>" option on the command line. Maybe you want a separate Parrot workspace for all Parrot related projects.

Add the project with File -> New -> Project. Give it a name and select your Parrot directory as Location.

Workspaces are usually rebuild on change, but you can stop this by unchecking Project -> Build Automatically.

The project settings are stored in .project and .settings in the project directory.

That's all I can think of right now.

Ron
  • Eclipse Andy Lester
    • Re: Eclipse Ron Blaschke