On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, chromatic wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 06:26:40 Andy Dougherty wrote:
>
> > This very minimal patch at leasts gives a brief warning about the issue.
>

> > +    # Parrot can't necessarily handle a pre-existing installed shared
> > +    # libparrot.so.  At this point, we don't know the actual name
> > +    # of the shared parrot library.  However, 'libparrot.so' will catch
> > +    # at least some of the problems.
> > +    my $old_version = File::Spec->catfile($conf->data->get('libdir'),
> > +                                          'libparrot.so');
>
> Would the use of $Config{so} (or the configuration system's equivalent) and
> possibly DynaLoader help make this more robust?

Yes.  Another good catch.  The undocumented variable
$conf->data->get('libparrot_shared_alias') is built using the undocumented
$conf->data->get('share_ext'), so looking for 'libparrot' .
$conf->data->get('share_ext') would the next thing to try.

You can't necessarily use the undocumented 'libparrot_shared_alias'
because it's not initialized everywhere -- only in some hints file.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]