I think this is an idea worth exploring, but we'll have to re-survey the
current config step classes carefully before proceeding.

There are certain methods (_init and runstep) which are part of the
public interface each class must implement. _init(), in turn, must
provide a 'description' attribute and (IIRC) initialize the 'result'
attribute.

Then there are methods and subs that are shared among 2-5 config step
classes each.  These are found in Parrot::Configure::Step::Methods --
and they're there not because of a big architectural decision but simply
because, having been writing tests for the steps over the last 10
months, I noticed repeated code.