  RR> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 09:55:09AM -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
  >> We could go as far as to guarantee that Nums do rational arithmetic
  >> out to a certain point, but probably what the financial insitutions
  >> want is special fixed-point types that assume a divisor anyway.
  >> Would any financial institution care to comment?

  RR> IANAFI, but I think that's more or less right.  I think they actually
  RR> tend to use BCD.

  RR> http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal/decifaq1.html#inexact

but a rat with a divisor of 100 (or 1000 even) should be fine for their
needs. bcd is a pain (i write one in the distant past for PL/I). i once
even offered to redo it (and i partially started it) for parrot. so if
anyone really wants a fast bcd math lib which can handle arbitrary size
and precision, and wants to take it over, let me know. i already have
add/subtract working and the designs for * and / are there. just needs
more coding in c. i don't have the time, focus and incentive to work on
it. a fun and smallish project for anyone with the right interest.

thanx,

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --