First, thank you for working on this!

Now some comments ...

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 19:07 +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> parrot-languages is my compressed version of the fedora split,
> they have for every single language a seperate package.

Thank you for choosing the single-package route here.

> I just left the docs/examples, the others stripped it.
> pdb is called parrot_pdb, disassemble is called pbc_disassemble.

Both of these are good changes (and I don't think the other packagers
should have stripped the examples; they are arguably necessary to
understand certain constructions, since our official docs are not
complete and are difficult to navigate in places).

> .include searchpath:
>   /usr/runtime/parrot/include
>   /usr/runtime/parrot
>   /usr
>   /usr/lib/parrot/include
>   /usr/lib/parrot/
>   .

/usr/runtime doesn't seem "right" to me (and it's not FHS-compliant,
IIRC).  I notice that none of your packages install to /usr/runtime, and
I'd prefer to just drop it.  Why is raw '/usr' included?

Side note to the Parrot Porters: the redundant 'parrot' directory under
'runtime' in the source tree makes no sense to me.  I'm in favor of
moving its three subdirectories up a level, and dropping the extra
cruft.

>   /usr/share/doc/parrot/LICENSE
>   /usr/share/doc/parrot/RESPONSIBLE_PARTIES
>   /usr/share/doc/parrot/TODO

Should probably include NEWS here in the main parrot package; for the
last year and a half, all of the key updates have been listed there
(ChangeLog is only useful for historical spelunking, and can be placed
in -devel).  Also, CREDITS fills in a lot of details that
RESPONSIBLE_PARTIES leaves out, and it arguably belongs in the main
package right next to the LICENSE.  Plus it maximizes karma exposure for
our valued contributor base; for the same reason, I'd vote for
DONORS.pod here as well.  A "binary package" version of the official
README that drops the PREREQUISITES, INSTRUCTIONS, and NOTES blocks
seems like a good idea too.

DEPRECATED.pod and PBC_COMPAT need to be in the -devel package.

Speaking of all these docs, do the various distro ports/packages include
manpages (at least a minimal 'parrot' manpage, as I believe Debian and
OpenBSD require to comply with their respective policies)?

-'f