# New Ticket Created by  Moritz Lenz
# Please include the string:  [perl #56604]

Error messages caused by programmer's mistakes shouldn't include stack
traces.

Rakudo r29047:
../../parrot perl6.pbc -e 'my Int $x; $x = "str"'
Type check failed
current instr.: 'parrot;Perl6Object;infix:=' pc 59 (src/gen_builtins.pir:52)
called from Sub '_block11' pc 93 (EVAL_12:42)
called from Sub 'parrot;PCT::HLLCompiler;eval' pc 806
(src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:481)
called from Sub 'parrot;PCT::HLLCompiler;command_line' pc 1305
(src/PCT/HLLCompiler.pir:708)
called from Sub 'parrot;Perl6::Compiler;main' pc 13152 (perl6.pir:174)

IMHO the stack trace is mostly unnecessary line noise, and shouldn't be
visible to the programmer, since it obscures the real error message
(which could be improved ;-)

Typical examples of error messages are "Type check failed", parse
errors, 'Could not find non-existent sub' and 'Method 'foo' not found
for invocant of class 'Int''.

It might be a bit too early for this change because atm most users are
compiler writers at the same time, but when others start to use it on a
regular basis we should do our best not to confuse them.

Cheers,
Moritz

--
Moritz Lenz