On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, James Keenan via RT wrote:

> On Mon Jul 14 10:55:35 2008, doughera wrote:
> > Some of the new tests for auto::pack fail for me:
> >

> > t/steps/auto_pack-01.t    4  1024    33    4  12.12%  14-17
> >

> 1.  This is a test that I wrote, so I would be interested in at least
> knowing which OS, platform, C-compiler combination you were using here.
>  It might help me write better tests in the future.

This was on OpenSolaris /x86 using Sun's compiler and Sun's pre-built perl
(which, if memory serves, is 5.8.4 and was built using -Duse64bitint).

> > Rather than exhaustively testing the existing behavior of
> > config/auto/pack.pm, it would have been worthwhile to first to
> > consider
> > whether the existing behavior was worth maintaining.  A quick
> > examination
> > shows that the config step is determing "types" for the perl "pack"
> > function, but these "types" are never used anywhere.  They haven't
> > been
> > used for years.
> >

> 2.  Apart from deleting the step, then running 'make' and 'make test',
> is there any other way to demonstrate that these types are not used?

Yes.  Look at the Config variables that are set, and then grep for them in
the source tree.  You'll find they are never used.

There was also a recent thread on the mailing list [perl #56484] that
brought up a closely-related issue.

> 3.  Are there any other configuration steps which are no longer needed?

Well, I proposed eliminating the attributes and warnings tests, but I was
overruled on that.  Other than those, nothing occurs to me off the top of
my head.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]