[this message was not sent to list, which it seems it should have; hence the
forward.]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrew Whitworth via RT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:11 AM
Subject: [perl #57656] [PROPOSAL][PIR] change PIR sugar for concat into ".."
(or something else)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed Aug 06 05:53:07 2008, kjs wrote:
> My proposal would be to change the concatenate dot into "..", which looks
> like it, but is more explicit, and will prevent such mistakes.

I agree that there should be some change. I've run into this problem
myself in the past, and it's very frustrating. I don't like having to
take into account whitespace to resolve syntactic ambiguities,
especially not in something which is basically an assembly language.

I like ".." and "~". I also like "+", if we can get IMCC to reliably
understand that when used on strings it performs concatenation instead
of some crazy addition. I definitely don't like "." since our best
practices involves quoting method names such as foo.'bar' which raises
all sorts of ambiguity.

--Andrew Whitworth