Bob Rogers wrote:
   From: chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:39:05 -0700

Not all of the codingstd tests are part of make test. There's a specific codingstd test target you can run separately. I estimate about 2/3 of the tests will pass. The others may or may not ever pass. For example, the macro parenthesization tests will never all pass.

[snip]
 The tests on
"make test" must pass, but some on "make codingstd" are not expected to
pass, and are therefore not showstoppers.

Yes, when one of the 'make codingstd_tests' accumulates sufficient PASSes, we promote it to 'make test'. Those that are not yet passing can generally be described as: "Requires cage-cleaner with vast number of tuits."

Some output from 'make codingstd_tests' being run right now:

t/codingstd/c_function_docs....1/1
#   Failed test 'Functions documented'
#   at t/codingstd/c_function_docs.t line 94.
# Functions lacking documentation in 114 files:
# /Users/jimk/work/parrot/src/intlist.c
#  /Users/jimk/work/parrot/src/io/io.c

... requires cage-cleaner with vast tuits and knowledge of C ;-)

t/codingstd/fixme..............1/1
#   Failed test 'FIXME strings'
#   at t/codingstd/fixme.t line 62.
# FIXME strings found in 571 instances in 149 files:
# file '/Users/jimk/work/parrot/src/io/io_layers.c', line 52: XXX
#  file '/Users/jimk/work/parrot/src/io/io_layers.c', line 55: FIXME

... requires cage-cleaner to open RTs and replace XXX, TODO or FIXME with ticket number; ptc come back, we need you!

t/codingstd/pod_todo...........1/1
#   Failed test 'No todo items found'
#   at t/codingstd/pod_todo.t line 98.
#          got: '/Users/jimk/work/parrot/README_cygwin.pod
# /Users/jimk/work/parrot/README_win32.pod
# /Users/jimk/work/parrot/compilers/imcc/parser_util.c
# /Users/jimk/work/parrot/compilers/imcc/pbc.c
# /Users/jimk/work/parrot/compilers/imcc/reg_alloc.c
# /Users/jimk/work/parrot/compilers/imcc/symreg.c
# /Users/jimk/work/parrot/compilers/pge/PGE/Regex.pir
# /Users/jimk/work/parrot/compilers/pirc/README.pod

... requires cage-cleaner who knows C, operating systems and all the languages we're building on Parrot.

So, no, failures in these files are not from showstoppers. They're a TODO for my golden years (and those of several other Parrot developers).

kid51