On Fri Aug 29 09:11:37 2008, coke wrote:

> If I want to run my config based on the contents of a file, how do I
> get the ordered lists of steps to run? Can I assume a sane default or
> must I be explicit?

In this first version of file-based configuration, you have to be
explicit, i.e., you copy-and-paste the list of steps from
lib/Parrot/Configure/Step/List.pm and edit to suit your taste.

> If the file/list is coming from a configure run, is there a way to
> cope with the order of steps changing between various versions of
> Configure? or will I have to manually re-apply my changes if that
> happens? (easier to avoid if there are sane defaults)

In a subsequent version of file-based configuration (and different RT),
we can explore some way of telling the user/editor of a particular
config file, "Hey!  Since you last edited this file, the canonical list
of config steps in P::C::Step::List has changed."  But that would be a
new requirement and involve considerable new code.  My recommendation is
to offer people this version for now and see how real-world use shapes
our future needs.

HTH

Thank you very much.
kid51