On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 02:10:39PM +0200, Moritz Lenz wrote:
> The test suite is considered "official" as in "everything that passes
> the (completed) test suite may name itself Perl 6", and nearly all of
> these files 'use Test'; However we don't ship an "official" Test.pm, nor
> do we define which test functions it should contain and export by
> default, nor their semantics.
>
> Now this may sound a bit theoretical and far-fetched, but we've actually
> encountered test files that contain tests which are only in Rakudo's
> Test.pm (probably my fault), and otoh there are a few functions in pugs'
> Test.pm that are not used (for example unlike(), which is only used in
> t/02-test-pm/1-basic.t to test unlike()).
>
> So how should we proceed? Should I assemble a list of commonly used test
> functions and remove all others both in the Test.pm's and the test files?

I'd like to see us spec the list of test functions needed by the
official test suite.  If possible, I'd also like those functions to be
kept on simple side, so that an implementation doesn't have to
have a nearly complete implementation of Perl 6 in order to start using
the suite.  For example, we shouldn't require advanced typing or
multimethod dispatch semantics in order for Test.pm to work.

> And then? Spec it? Or ship a prototype Test.pm as "official"?

I think it's good to have a prototype Test.pm that we can point to as
a reference, but I don't think we need to try to designate it as being
"official".

Pm