On Monday 25 August 2008 08:41:39 Jeff Horwitz wrote:

> rakudo cannot write to %*ENV because the underlying Env PMC apparently
> does not update the environment when using a non-keyed opcode:

The Env PMC is a thin wrapper around setenv(3) and getenv(3).  We can change
it to store STRING and PMC pointers for the appropriate vtable entries, but
how do you distinguish between storing the value of a STRING with setenv(3)
and storing the string pointer?

How do you distinguish between storing a PMC pointer and fetching the string
value of that PMC and storing it with setenv(3)?

(The first person to tell me to read how Perl 5 does it gets a bonk on the
head with my +2 Hammer of I've Read Enough Perl 5 Internals, Thank You,
Radiant Damage.)

-- c