Michael Peters wrote:
> Moritz Lenz wrote:
>
>> the graphs on http://smolder.plusthree.com/app/public_graphs/start/8
>> become pretty useless as soon as I select a larger time span (say, 5
>> days): instead of displaying data, it mostly displays a gray area of
>> fancy 3D shadows.
>
> I agree that the shadows can cause a problem. But I think the main point is
> that there is a lot of
> data. Just for the months of August there were 1,638 smoke reports submitted.
> It's hard to usefully
> cram 1,638 into a 600 pixel area.

Aye. But I think 5 days is not too much to ask for ;-)

>> Maybe the graph generation could be tweaked, or a simple, traditional 2D
>> lines plot could be used instead?
>
> I could add the option for 2D graphs as well. But I'm not sure that will be
> enough for more than a
> couple of days worth of data. Maybe I need to find something smarter than
> GD::Graph for large data
> sets. Any ideas?

Piping to gnuplot usually works very well for me.
Thinking more of it, I think a scatter plot would be better for a graph
with many discontinuities. (800 data points on 600 pixels are no problem
for gnuplot, haven't tried with much more yet, but I think it scales well).

Moritz

--
Moritz Lenz
http://moritz.faui2k3.org/ |  http://perl-6.de/