On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:14 AM, James Keenan via RT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue Sep 16 00:08:29 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Monday 15 September 2008 20:06:11 James Keenan via RT wrote:
>>
>> > See patch attached.  The patch eliminates smartlink-related code from
>> > Parrot, but does not touch anything in languages/.
>>
>> It contains some commented out code that should probably just go away.
>> Otherwise, +1.
>>

> Yes, this was a first version of the patch which I rushed out largely to
> see what effect deleting the code would have on the Parrot and Perl 6
> 'make test' suites.  (Answer:  none, accounting for deleted tests.)  My
> plan is to fine tune it by also deleting some comments referring to
> smartlinks in other tests such as t/pmc/object.t.

parrot needs a way for us to measure spec coverage in our test suite.
i started the current smartlinks code as an experiment in using moose,
and as a reaction to the mess of smartlink code that's in the pugs
repo. however, i'm not married to the code, so rip it out if you
like--i never completed it, anyway.

a few things about the smartlink code currently in pugs that needs to
be addressed to work well with parrot:
* parrot both follows the parrot design documents, and the perl 6 spec
docs (mainly pge). this is not possible in pugs' system
* it should be well-tested. if pugs' system is used, hopefully the
tests can be used there as well
* it should be easily maintainable. i don't find the pugs' code easy to read.

i'd *love* to see smartlinks working in parrot. one of the big
problems in the parrot test suite is our lack of ability to measure
the test coverage of both code and spec. although smartlinks likely
won't offer us solid quantitative metrics, it will provide important
visual qualitative measures.

oh, one other thing--there was a comment about a perl 6 syntax for
smartlinks somewhere. that's outside the scope of this project, as all
the spec/design docs are written in perl 5 pod. it's something to
think about, but something we'll only address when we have a need
(perhaps when/if the spec docs are rewritten in perl 6 pod?)

~jerry