On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 07:34 -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > "Aggregating coroutine" and "aggregating yield" aren't nearly as zippy
> > as 'gather' and 'take', but they're more meaningful to a broader
> > audience, which may help the feature spread.

I don't buy this.  The Perl 6 terms are well chosen, and as soon as you
know what they mean in the context of programming, you won't forget.
The other versions ... well, let's leave it at "easy to forget".  (OK,
one more thing -- the word "coroutine" scares people.  "Gather" does
not.)

> I'm rather hoping and expecting that "gather" and "take" become
> the meaningful names for this feature, much like "grep" started
> out as a Unix shell command but is now the language-agnostic term for
> "extract things from a list matching a pattern".

Now *this* I agree with.  The first system to make a feature standard
gets first try at standardizing the name.  If they've chosen the name
well, there's a decent chance it will stick.

-'f