On Mon Feb 18 18:07:43 2008, coke wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 8:39 PM, chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Friday 15 February 2008 11:35:04 Will Coleda wrote:
> >
> > > According to http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/index.html#DIR, looks like
> > > as of gcc 4.2.3 (but not 4.1.2), we can use the following option to
> > > gcc:
> > >
> > > -Werror=declaration-after-statement
> > >
> > > To help enforce our C89 compliance by causing this particular style to
> > > become an error instead of just a warning. This should be added as a
> > > default to the build options if a recent enough version of gcc is
> > > available.
> >
> > Works for me with gcc 4.1.3; I think this is closeable.
> >
> > -- c
> >

> It's not checked in anywhere, though. We're just using
>
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement
>
> not
>
> -Werror=declaration-after-statement

Parrot builds with gcc 4.3.1 just fine when
-Werror=declaration-after-statement is added after
-Wdeclearation-after-statement in config/auto/warnings.pm .  The option
shows up in the generated Makefile and in the gcc invocation that's used.
Adding this line with a gcc that doesn't support
-Werror=declaration-after-statement doesn't cause any problems.  It
looks like this can safely be integrated into the build process.
Once such a change is committed, this ticket can be closed.  I'll do
this tonight if nobody beats me to it.