My company sells an application that links a bugtracking tool with an SCM tool
so that, for example, the files changed for each bug are recorded in the
bugtracking tool. It is currently written in (mostly) non-object-oriented
perl5.

We are re-architecting the application so that it can work with different
bugtracking tools and SCM tools, and do things like sync data from specific
fields between a help desk tool and the bugtracking tool. This would be a good
time for us to transition to perl6.

As far as I can tell from the various faqs and wikis, the existing
functionality in rakudo should support most of our needs for the initial
release. I may need to assist with the porting of some database access and
other modules from CPAN to C6PAN in the longer term.

However, I am concerned about deployment of a perl6 based product to
customers. Perl5 can be reasonably specified as a prerequisite for loading our
application, since it is generally available (and shipped with some of the
products we integrate). That is not the case with Perl6.

Is it practical now to deploy a Perl6/Parrot  runtime with a (possibly
precompiled) version of our product? Will it be practical any time soon? I can
probably get away with occasionally requiring Linux and Solaris users to
rebuild Parrot to fit their local configuration, but Windows is another matter.
(Shipping a known version of the runtime with our product will also allow us
to tune our application to a known set of available perl6 functions.)

The mechanism for generating the packages I ship to my customers does not need
to be pretty, it just needs to exist. If there are instructions already online
about how to generate such packages (now or in the near future), I would
appreciate a pointer  to them.

Thanks
--
Elyse Grasso