On Tue Oct 07 06:53:58 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In fixing the Complex PMC in r31749, I revealed a problem in our
> read-only PMC tests. In t/pmc/ro.t, test 5 gets an error as expected,
> but the error it gets complains that add_p_ic_p doesn't exist (it hasn't
> existed for years, if ever). So, test 5 isn't actually testing anything
> useful.
>
> I'm a bit suspicious about the whole test file now, because it's not
> testing for the actual text of the error message, it's just testing that
> it got *some* error. The cage task is to review the test file and
> improve the error testing, so that if the read-only error is masked by
> some other error, the tests will fail.
>
> One possible direction is to use exception handlers to trap the
> read-only exceptions inside the tests, instead of just relying on the
> exit code.
>
> Allison

Most of the tests are rewritten in r31997 so that only the appropriate
exception types are caught.  I also split the ROTest tests into a
separate file in src/dynpmc/rotest.t so t/distro/test_file_coverage.t
would be happy (r32001,2).

Rewriting the tests uncovered a couple errors in the tests themselves.
All these have been resolved to both correctly test ro functionality and
pass (unless I'm missing a subtlety).  The last test in t/pmc/ro.t needs
a look, but it has a separate ticket.

I'm marking this one resolved.