OK, I've updated the patch.  I've made the following assumptions:

1.  I cannot load modules.
2.  I cannot use subroutines.
3.  I cannot use inline ops for the test counter (since that's what
    is being tested)

The problem is that I've made the tests pass by assuming that the value of $a
at each point is the correct value.  I'm assuming from what Jerry has pointed
out that these number should be sequential.  It's a trivial fix to remedy this
in the tests, but I didn't want to try and second-guess what was going on.

I think this patch (or something similar) is important as those who want to
play with Rakudo will see a test failure if they run 'make test' as the README
instructs.

Cheers,
Ovid
--