I'd say kill it, and if we ever want to introduce new pragmas into PIR, we
reintroduce. This way, .pragma keyword is not recognized without a reason.
(recently I've become a great fan of being able to override commandline
options with directives in the file processed; .pragma directive would be
good to do this in PIR. You'll see my PROPOSALS whenever the time is ripe
for that :-) I was thinking:

.pragma output "out.pbc"     # pbc output is written to out.pbc
.pragma noregallocation       # no register optimization
.pragma nostrengthreduction  # no strength reduction (add $I0,1 -> inc $I0)
.pragma warningson

and so on.

kjs