On Nov 23, 4:55 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aristotle Pagaltzis) wrote:

> I don’t see any examples in S16 concerning error handling anyway,
> but even so I don’t see how relying on exceptions would could
> possibly be more complex than guard clauses.

Neither do I. Catching Failure objects is better than explicit checks
(except where performance implications exist and are relevant to the
application -- which isn't the case here).

Dave.

PS. From S16, q{ ...  On POSIX systems, you can detect this condition
this way:
    use POSIX qw(sysconf _PC_CHOWN_RESTRICTED);
    $can_chown_giveaway = not sysconf(_PC_CHOWN_RESTRICTED);
}

>From this I inferred that the purpose of this assignment was to do a
check -- I apologize if I misinterpreted it -- and would suggest that
we should either get rid of that text, or else reword to suggest not
using it in bad ways.