On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 05:53:40PM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
> And it's pretty easy to use any of
>
>     say '';
>     say ();
>     ''.say;
>     print "\n";
>
> to be clearer about the intent.  So my inclination is to outlaw
> bare "say" as well, as an aid to catching a common p5thinko that
> some folks might otherwise find difficult to debug.

I'm fine with this.

How about C< say() >  as a function call instead of a listop?
Still illegal?

If they're "compiler errors", do you expect that we'll catch them
as part of the grammar (i.e., in STD.pm), or a later compiler phase?

> I suppose a case could be made for just making one or both of those
> warnings.  STD already has a mechanism for reporting "Possible
> difficulties", so maybe that's a good-enough way to handle it.

That also works for me -- I'd just like a pointer as to where
we're likely to stick the test for this.

Thanks!

Pm