----- Original Message ----

> Also `:!start` to imply `:end` unless `:!end` (which in turn
> implies `:start` unless `:!end`)?
>
> I’d like not to have to type `.trim(:start)` when I could just do
> `.ltrim` though.

So what would .ltrim do with this?

"

בָּרוּךְ שֵׁם כְּבוֹד מַלְכוּתוֹ לְעוֹלָם וָעֶד.            "

If you can't see that in your client, that's Hebrew from
http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/shma.html and means "Hear O Israel, the Lord is
our God, the Lord is One".

Since that's RTL (Right To Left) text, should ltrim remove the leading or
trailing whitespace?

I like Jonathan's trim_start and trim_end.

Side note:  I'm implementing the tests now, but only for bog-standard .trim.  I
won't do the rest until we settle this.

So far I only have one failing test:

  is_deeply(trim(()), (), "trim on empty list");

Results in:

  not ok 10 - trim on empty list
  # have: ""
  # want: []

Note that this output is from my locally hacked version of Test.pm which is
kind enough to tell you what the failure is.  I'll submit a patch for that
later.

Cheers,
Ovid
--