Subversion's OK, but I would definitely prefer git. I've only used it for a few small projects, but already it's impressed the heck out of me for its behavior in both big things (branching) and small things (git diff automatically pages).

Perhaps a response to this thread is a little late, but I stumbled across git-svn today which allows interaction between git and a Subversion repository:

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

I've not used it, so I can't speak to its effectiveness, but I thought of this thread when I came across it. :)

Cory