On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 22:04, Patrick R. Michaud <pmich...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On behalf of the Rakudo development team, I'm pleased to announce
> the February 2009 development release of Rakudo Perl #14 "Vienna".
> Rakudo is an implementation of Perl 6 on the Parrot Virtual Machine [1].
> The tarball for the February 2009 release is available from
>
>    http://www.pmichaud.com/perl6/rakudo-2009-02.tar.gz
>
> However, because of the rapid pace of Rakudo development and addition
> of new features, we still recommend that people wanting to use or work
> with Rakudo obtain the latest version directly from the main repository
> at github -- more on this in a bit.
>
> This is the fourteenth development release of Rakudo Perl, but it's
> the first release independent from Parrot releases.  We will continue
> to follow a monthly release cycle, with each release to be code named
> after a Perl Mongers group.  This release is named for Vienna.pm
> (http://vienna.pm.org), who have been sponsoring Jonathan Worthington's
> work on Rakudo since April 2008.  A list of the other planned release
> dates and codenames for 2009 is available in the "docs/release_guide.pod"
> file.  In general, Rakudo development releases are scheduled to occur
> two days after each Parrot monthly release.  Parrot releases the third
> Tuesday of each month.
>
> Rakudo Perl now uses git [2] for its version control system, hosted
> at http://github.com/rakudo/rakudo .  The README file there is kept
> up-to-date with the latest instructions for obtaining and building
> Rakudo Perl.
>
> In this release of Rakudo Perl, we've made the following major changes
> and improvements:
>
> * Rakudo is now passing 7076 spectests.  This is an increase of 796
>  passing tests since the January 2009 release.
>
> * The Configure.pl script supports a "--gen-parrot" option to
>  automatically fetch and build the appropriate version of Parrot.
>
> * The default make target now builds a binary executable directly, either
>  perl6 or perl6.exe.  It's still a Parrot "fakecutable", but we think
>  we've made it more reliable so that it doesn't generate segmentation
>  faults on exits.  (If you don't know what a "fakecutable" is you can
>  safely ignore this.)
>
> * Many builtins are beginning to be written in pure Perl 6, or Perl 6
>  functions with inline PIR.  These builtins are part of the core
>  "setting" for Perl 6, and appear in the src/setting/ directory.
>  Previously this was known as the "prelude".
>
> * Improved Test.pm diagnostic output.
>
> Also, Rakudo now implements the following Perl 6 features:
>
> * Anonymous classes may be specified using ::
> * Existing parameterized roles are now reused instead of creating new ones.
> * Roles pun a class when .new is invoked on them.
> * "proto" now marks all same-named routines as "multi".
> * "XopX" is now "Xop".
> * <-> (rw) pointy blocks.
> * min= and max= metaoperators.
> * Many many bugfixes and documentation improvements.

> [...]
congratulations, patrick.  this is a *giant* step for rakudo, and by
extension for parrot.  the first independent release of a parrot-based
perl 6 has now landed--and it's already passing 40% of the official
spec test suite.  rakudo has a strong and growing community of
developers, testers, and contributors, and this is due in no small
part to a lead developer who never seems to run out of enthusiasm,
isn't afraid to take a step back and refactor to get things right, and
leads by stellar example.  i expect your attitude and enthusiasm will
continue to foster this burdgeoning community into a true
representation of perl 6 culture, and will carry forward to ensure the
continued success of rakudo and perl 6.  i hope you will take a little
time and reflect on what you've accomplished, before you get back into
the thick of things.

speaking as both a developer and a sponsor of rakudo, i'd like to
thank you for your invaluable contributions, without which we'd be, in
a word, lost.
~jerry