On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Daniel Carrera
<daniel.carr...@theingots.org> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> In addition to Patrick's excellent reply, I'd like to mention that one way
> to help the project is to just write code in Perl 6. This is a good way to
> find bugs, including performance bugs.

I have just sent off an email to Patrick along this same lines - here
are some links you may be interested in:

http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=458728    # Perl6 Contest: Test your Skills
http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=462987    # Perl6 Contest #2: P6 That
Doesn't Look Like P5
http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=458728    # Perl6 Contest: Test your Skills
http://svn.pugscode.org/pugs/examples/  # Examples of perl 6 when Pugs
was under heavy development

My offer is to port a lot of my old perl 5 code to perl 6

> One little project I'm doing is I'm porting the benchmarks from the Debian
> language shootout to Perl 6. I figure this is a good place to start because
> each benchmark is designed to test one specific aspect of the language. I've
> only done a couple of benchmarks. If you are interested, why don't you help
> me? Porting benchmarks is a good way to learn Perl 6.

I know these benchmarks have their value, but I am more interested in
real practical code that I have previously written to solve a problem.
 I know that the Rakudo code will be slower than the perl 5.  In fact,
I would expect it to be slower by a consistent factor unless there is
some aspect of that program with a major optimization flaw.  I am
interested in a tool that can benchmark both perl 5 and perl 6
natively.  I am obviously aware of Benchmark.pm for perl 5 and of

http://svn.pugscode.org/pugs/ext/Benchmark/lib/Benchmark.pm  for perl
6 (not sure when it was last updated)

I really don't want to have to set up two benchmarks for each program
and then capture the output and then merge the results.  I know I
could write some code to do that but if someone already has such a
tool I would just as soon use that.

> Cheers,
> Daniel.

Cheers,