S05 mentions the magic <after> pattern in two locations, but I cannot find a specification of the interaction between <after> and the ratcheting {rule/token} status.

Specifically, is

token {
  ... <?after x >
}

going to match the same pattern as

rule {
  ... <?after x >
}

??

I ask because (I just did it, and) with rules encouraging the liberal use of whitespace, and implicitly generating <.ws> matches, something like:

rule {
   X <?after X>
}

will insert a <.ws> before the <?after>, which the after-block should then be aware of.

So, I suppose the question is, does <?after> always behave a certain way, ratchet-wise, and if so what is it? Or does it take its mode from the surrounding context, or something else?

=Austin