On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 08:15 -0800, Paul Simon wrote:
> The system has only 256 MB with few resources being used. That's a big
> difference
> between 12+ hours and 3 minutes! Maybe I should invest in more RAM :-)

Yep, if you see swapping, more RAM is probably the single most effective
performance enhancer you can possibly throw at it.  The slowdown from
swapping to a spinning disk completely swamps all performance
differences between CPUs, for instance.

FWIW, the next thing to improve depends on your common tasks: a solid
state disk and a better video card are usually the best bets.  The SSD
is great for compiles, program startups, and other disk-intensive
processes.  (Get a good one, the cheap ones are awful.)  The video card
is most useful if you do 3D, watch videos, or have a desktop that uses a
"compositing engine".  If you just use twm to run xterms, it's not all
that valuable.  :-)

Still, both of those are WAY further down the list than getting enough
RAM to do the compile in main memory.

-'f