# New Ticket Created by  Stephane Payrard
# Please include the string:  [perl #75592]

I am probably a lousy programmer but I hit again and again that
unhelpful message.

How to reproduce :

eval "{\n\n\n\n\'}"

Unable to parse blockoid, couldn't find final '}' at line 1

Note that the opening quotes are many lines below the start of the
blockoid and there may be many statements between them.
So the line number in the error is unhelpful.

In the simplest case, the quote rules fails because the end of the
file has been reached. I don't see the need
to backtrack and to fail the blockoid.

In more complicated cases, the quote rule reduces but it eats way more
characters than the programmer intended
inluding '}'  chars that should terminate blockoids. The result is
triggering the same message or some others. I don't know if there is a
way to detect the true problem instead of emitting spurious messages.
Probably we should indicate the
reduced quotes involving many  lines as suspicious when failing to
reduce a blockoid. They are bad style anyway because
heredocs are the preferred style for many lines quoted stuff. But
heredocs are not implemented yet.

--
cognominal stef