Am 30.07.2010 09:24, schrieb Richard Hainsworth:
The number of modules available to proto has grown considerably.

I am not aware that there is a convenient way of obtaining a short
description about each module, other than just the name?

http://modules.perl6.org/ contains a short description, which is the tagline from the github repository.

Would it be possible to require that any module listed in the proto list

s/require/suggest/

should also have a file METADATA in the root directory of the module's
depository? This file should contain (in pod format??) a minimum number
of sections, eg.,
SUMMARY
AUTHOR
REVISION
LICENSE
LASTUPDATE

proto inclusion already requires a dependency file,

No. It's perfectly fine to have none, if the module has no other Perl 6 modules as dependencies

and /t

Also optional.

Which is exactly the point: proto tries not to be intrusive, and tries to impose little structure on the modules it can distribute.

If all modules conform to a minimum metadata standard, then it would be
possible to write tools that access the proto projects.list, then access
each project and extract the metadata, dependency checking,
absence/presence of tests.

Agreed. Though the "minimum metadata standard" should be about the file format of the meta data, not about presence of certain information.

Things like LASTUPDATE and REVISION look superfluous to me, that can be obtained from the repo meta data.

Some kind of meta data standard should exists, I guess that'll be a good topic for discussion at YAPC::EU (I'm looking at you, Martin and Carl :-)

Cheers,
Moritz