On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 07:22:33AM -0700, Damian Conway wrote:

> What we really need is some anecdotal evidence from folks who are actually
> using threading in real-world situations (in *any* languages). What has worked
> in practice? What has worked well? What was painful? What was error-prone?
> And for which kinds of tasks?
>
> And we also need to stand back a little further and ask: is "threading"
> the right approach at all? Do threads work in *any* language? Are there
> better metaphors?

I've not used them, but Ruby 1.9 Fibers (continuations) and the
EventMachine Reactor pattern seem interesting.

http://www.igvita.com/2009/05/13/fibers-cooperative-scheduling-in-ruby/
http://www.igvita.com/2010/03/22/untangling-evented-code-with-ruby-fibers/

There's also an *excellent* screencast by Ilya Grigorik.
It's from a Ruby/Rails perspective but he gives a good explanation of
the issues. He shows how writing async code using callbacks rapidly gets
complex and how continuations can be used to avoid that.

Well worth a look:

http://blog.envylabs.com/2010/07/no-callbacks-no-threads-ruby-1-9/

Tim.

p.s. If short on time start at 15:00 and watch to at least 28:00.