On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Tim Bunce <tim.bu...@pobox.com> wrote:
> If you wanted to start a hundred threads in a language that has good
> support for async constructs you're almost certainly using the wrong
> approach. In the world of perl6 I expect threads to be used rarely and
> for specific unavoidably-bocking tasks, like db access, and where true
> concurrency is needed.

I agree starting a large number of threads is usually the wrong
approach, but at the same time I see more reasons to use threads than
just avoiding blocking. We live in a multicore world, and it would be
nice if it was easy to actually use those cores. I know people who are
deploying to 24 core systems now, and that number will only grow.
Processes shouldn't be the only way to utilize that.

> (Adding thread/multiplicity support to NYTProf shouldn't be too hard.
> I don't have the time/inclination to do it at the moment, but I'll fully
> support anyone who has.)

I hate how you once again make my todo list grow :-p