On 8 July 2011 12:28, Rajeev Prasad <rp.ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> will apps made for one distribution of Rakudo work with another?

Yes, provided that the versions of Rakudo used are sufficiently
compatible (one might have newer features that you used that another
one hasn't updated to include yet, for example), and that the required
modules are available. I don't imagine that we'll get into a situation
where you install one particular distribution and then can't install
the modules bundled with a different one.

> the time for web targeted distro is approaching fast. as soon as we know the
> most secure/stable and extendable WEB services
> model(mashups/REST/XML/WSDL...) is identified/spec-ed, there will be a need
> (requirement) for perl compiler(or any other SSLanguage) to support it out of
> the box.
> - i think so.

Web programming is one of the big applications for Perl historically.
It would be silly to neglect that for Perl 6, and there are people
looking at writing the necessary modules to provide the support. I
wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least a basic CGI module in
Rakudo Star. I wouldn't expect something like Catalyst though - that's
a bit big to bundle in, but would instead be installed separately. I
would also not expect to find this functionality put into the core
language at any point - Perl 6 is deliberately intended to be powerful
and flexible so that you can write good modules to do anything you
need to do without having to have core language support for
everything. That way, everybody gets what they need, whether they're
doing CGI programming or writing a compiler or using image recognition
to count the number of sweets in a jar.

You mention too many choices of modules confusing new users - yes,
that is a problem, but I personally prefer to have the ability to
choose the most suitable module for my task, rather than being stuck
with something that somebody has declared is the right way to do it,
but actually fits my use case quite badly and causes me a lot of
frustration as a result.

What is needed is a way to make the appropriate modules easy to find,
easy to get and easy to use, in a way that can make system
administrators happy (because I know CPAN drives them nuts).