On Wed, 2011-23-11 at 17:58 +0400, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
> In addition, let me say this. It has been over five years since perl6
> was first mooted and progress has been slow. But slow progress and
> justifications for the slow progress are not excuses. Some things do
> take a long time.
>
> Five years seem an eternity in the frenetic world of dot_coms and the
> like. But it is not a long time in other areas of human activity.
>
> Wanting perl6 to be finished will not help it happen. Nor will acidic
> comments.

I appreciate this.  To me it seems more like 10 years.

> I am responding to these questions because I think it will help rakudo
> to evolve faster if the work of the developers is placed in context and
> their achievements are praised.
>
> I truly love perl6! I really would like for it to be blisteringly fast.
> I worry it will never be truly fast because it is so complex, but only
> the future will tell.
>
> So how to get things moving faster?

I think a reasonable answer to "production ready" is when there is a
working rakudo package in Debian stable.  I see that parrot made it into
squeeze (i'm still using etch ... don't ask) and I see rakudo is now in
wheezy:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=rakudo&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

Looks like it's time for me to setup a wheezy box.  It appears that the
best guess for a wheezy release is August 2013:

Perhaps this would be a better answer for the skeptical.

--
--gh