On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Jonathan Lang <datawea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why must we use 'submethod BUILD' instead of 'method BUILD'?
> Is it some sort of chicken-and-egg dilemma?

from S12:
"Submethods are for declaring infrastructural methods that shouldn't
be inherited by subclasses, such as initializers ... only the methods
are visible to derived classes via inheritance. A submethod is called
only when a method call is dispatched directly to the current class."

It isn't chicken-and-egg, it's safety. The BUILD submethod doesn't get
used for anything other than the class it is defined in, even if that
class is derived from.

-y