# New Ticket Created by  "Carl Mäsak"
# Please include the string:  [perl #121249]

<masak> help! https://gist.github.com/masak/8999434
<jnthn> masak: You need to --gen-moar also
<jnthn> masak: Or specify a --prefix=...
<jnthn> masak: To where you installed Moar
<masak> used to be the Configure.pl script told me what was missing.
<masak> now it just errors out? :(
<jnthn> That is unfortunate
* masak submits rakudobug
<jnthn> otoh, README does give you the exact thing you need... :)
<jnthn> But nobody reads that, of course :P
<masak> I'm a core dev, I don't read the README! :P
<nwc10> that's kind of rule 0 of programming - no one reads the docs
<nwc10> and some people have a rule 1, of not reading the error message either
<nwc10> but those folks should be issued with an Etch-A-Sketch
<masak> anyway, I think this is orthogonal.
<masak> I *did* read the error message, and it sucked.
<mathw> LTA error message is LTA
<nwc10> yes, that's a legitimate bug
<nwc10> or, I agree, that's a bug.
<jnthn> It did say:
<jnthn> ===SORRY!===
<jnthn> No suitable MoarVM (moar executable) found using the --prefix
<masak> yeah. that's not enough.
<jnthn> OK, what should it have said?
<masak> I mean, you're *intended* to use Configure.pl in a certain
way, and the error message doesn't give enough hints as to how.
<jnthn> "(Maybe you want --gen-moar?)"
<masak> jnthn: yes, something like that.
<masak> whatever message would have saved me a trip to #perl6 for help
would have been fine ;)
<jnthn> masak: Like, "(Maybe you should RTFM?)" :D
<masak> jnthn: I'm all for reading the docs too, it's not that.
<masak> jnthn: but a decent bet is that 'perl Configure.pl && make &&
make install' works in a project.
<masak> jnthn: and the current Configure.pl breaks that expectation,
without giving an error message that guides the user right.
<masak> jnthn: think of it as saving or losing all the other potential
Rakudo users that happened to take the same path as I did.
<masak> jnthn: (and who don't know to go to #perl6 for help, or check
the README)
<masak> redundancy is a good thing here.