On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 03:11:01PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> Andy, is it OK to use your Perl 5 static inline probing code in MoarVM?

Absolutely.  Please feel free.  Perl 5's Configure script is actually
public domain on purpose to encourage such sharing, so you needn't ask,
though I agree courtesy is almost never inappropriate.

> It takes the probing C code for static inline from Perl 5's Configure
> pretty much verbatim, and uses that to determine what to use to get the
> compiler to generate inline functions that don't also have an external
> definition. I believe that probing is essential, as the correct magic to
> use varies with different versions of some compilers, and so attempting to
> maintain an explicit list is going to be more work than this.

You might want to revisit the gcc preferences -- they were designed to
allow Perl 5's cflags.SH to add -ansi (or -c89 or something similar) to
enforce C89 checking.  I don't know if MoarVM wants to embrace that
particular constraint.

Have the appropriate amount of fun,

--
    Andy Dougherty              dough...@lafayette.edu