On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Bruce Gray <bruce.g...@acm.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 17, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Tom Browder <tom.brow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to write all new Perl code in Perl 6.  One thing I need is
>>> the equivalent of the Perl 5 qr// and, following Perl 6 docs, I've
>
> I'll try all that, Bruce.  Thanks!

Hm, I'm not getting good results (> 20 sec vs 10 sec).  I realize I
may have oversimplified what I'm trying to do.  My incoming data lines
are complete file names.  I want to ignore file names whose path meets
certain partial paths.  So my working Perl 6 example, fully-escaped,
should be:

my regex dirs_to_ignore {
  ^ \s* [                              # non-capture grouping
       \/home\/user\/\.cpan |
       \/home\/user\/some\-dir
         ]
}

And it runs very fast and accurately.  When I remove the backslashes
and use single quotes around the partial paths it also DOES work as
shown here!!

my regex dirs_to_ignore {
  ^ \s* [                              # non-capture grouping
       '/home/user/.cpan'  |
       '/home/user/some-dir'
         ]
}

I probably made some subtle error previously.  Sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

I also tried again auto-building the regex but with no final success.
I could get the string exactly as in the second example bout I
couldn't get it to compile or to be used as a regex as far as I could
tell by timing and output comparison.

Best,

-Tom