On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Elizabeth Mattijsen <l...@dijkmat.nl> wrote:

> Sorry if I wasn’t clear: If there is no dynamic var, it will make one:
> either from the environment, or set it to 64K (like it was before).  So no
> programmer action is ever needed if they’re not interested in that type of
> optimization.

That was abundantly clear.

> At the moment it is nothing but a balloon that I let go up in the air.
> Question is still out on whether this will continue to live until the next
> release, or that it will be replaced by something more low level, at the VM
> level.
>
> If you put garbage in the environment, it will die trying to coerce that
> to an integer.

Sorry for bringing that up, as it evidently confused the issue.

I'll try to explain the problem once again, with feeling ;) – hoping that
I'm being clearer this time.

Before:

The programmer knows that the buffer size is 64K unless the programmer asks
for something different. A typical Perl program reading buffered input does
not need to worry about anything, unless the programmer wants to have
smaller or larger buffers.

In other words: fire and forget.

Currently:

The programmer does not know what the buffer size is, as it can either be
the default, or set by an environment. Every program that was made under
the previous paradigm now needs to be modified to check the environment to
avoid undesired side effects.

Every future program also needs to include code that checks the environment
to avoid undesired side effects.

--
Jan