On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org> wrote:

> Am 17.07.2017 um 09:32 schrieb Brandon Allbery:
> > On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 2:40 AM, Joachim Durchholz <j...@durchholz.org
> > <mailto:j...@durchholz.org>> wrote:
> >
> >         I think the whole concept of defining what's "interesting" in
> >         a backtrace by looking at the file name is pretty evil:
> >
> > So does Perl 6, actually; there's some discussion in the spec, and
> > possibly in the docs for callframe.
>
> Do you mean that the Perl6 spec considers this to be evil, too?

Yes. This is an acknowledged hack to provide the functionality when it
can't currently be done "right", and the ticket is a reminder aside from
the comment in the source that a proper solution is needed.

> The problem is, in the setting most
> > of that machinery is needed before it can be defined.
>
> Is my understanding correct: That we're looking at a chicken-and-egg
> problem in the implementation?

That's my read, but jnthn's observation that this lives in NQP-land also
complicates things.

(This is not the first chicken-and-egg problem we've had. The setting needs
booleans before perl 6 enums have been defined, so there's a BOOTEnum
thing. At one point it started leaking out, and because it's not a proper
perl 6 class but raw NQP it caused problems.)

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net