Good point. Here "No such method 'gist' for invocant of type 'Foo'
  in block <unit> at /tmp/aR11azfzlJ line 1" is the right one.

This will give True/False indicating correct/incorrect:

my $new_type := Metamodel::ClassHOW.new_type(:name<Foo>);
my $r = / . { $/.make($new_type) } /;
my $m = "a" ~~ $r;
note $m.ast.^name eq "Foo";

Thanks for bisecting magic!