Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So please, follow Chips wise lead, don't call your work Perl 6.

It's called Pickle.

"Andy Wardley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Indeed.  XS is hard, fast, dirty and ugly (in a sickly, beautiful
> kinda way), but there's nothing to stop you from wrapping it all up
> into a less efficent, but prettier API (with the possible exception
> of reference counting).

There is no reason for it to be any less efficient (other than
compilers' botching of `inline').  I favor leaving efficiency as a
user option.  In return for efficiency, we offer binary independence
of interpreters.

Pickle provides (or will provide) three modes of compiling:

    Default - <perl.h> is not included - total bincompat
    Refcount Cheat - the only bit structure knowledge is sv_refcount
    Gung Ho - all Default API functions are inline to the level of
        Perl 5's API

You can select any of them with a single conditional.  I believe Perl
6 (and v5.8) should support three interfaces along these lines,
whether or not any Pickle code is involved.

-John