[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jarkko Hietaniemi)  wrote on 13.08.00 in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 02:14:24PM -0400, Chaim Frenkel wrote:

> > Why do all those acts have to be performed to do an open?
>
> I must not be explaining myself very well...  To do an open() from
> Perl the user does not have to do *anything* special.  *Internal*
> *representation*.  Not external use.

It's not that what you're saying is hard to understand, it's that it
misses the point.

There is no reason at all for the implementation of open to do this type
of filename parsing, either.

You *only* need filename prsing when you want to manipulate the filename
itself. Change the extension, canonicalize it, whatever.

use A::B might need this, some change_extension() function might, open
doesn't. (Though it seems as if it needs to do URI parsing instead.)

MfG Kai