At 09:25 AM 8/15/00 -0700, Larry Wall wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>: Yep.  Or more generally "Standardize Perl on all platforms to one
>: common time epoch" and reccommend the Unix epoch since it's so
>: widespread.  :-)
>
>Oh, gee, where's your sense of history?  (As in creating our own. :-)
>Maybe we should invent our own epoch, like the year 2000.  Or use a
>really standard one, like the year 0 AD (aka 1 BC).

I think I'd snag a date after the last western country went Julian, just to
avoid some of the less fun time conversion issues. (How long ago Jan 1,
1690 was depends on what country you're in)

While I personally like the smithsonian base date (17-nov-1858) that's
rather parochial (well, US-centric) and difficult to remember. If we're
picking a new one, I'm partial to Jan 1, 2000. Or shall we choose year 0 in
the Chinese calendar?

>I have this horror that people will still be using 1970 as the epoch in
>the year 31,536.

Nah. I'm sure we'll have switched over to Elvis' birthday as base date by
then... :)