Tom Christiansen writes:
: More of this nonsense, eh?

Please don't use fighting words in here.

: I just fail to understand the urge to eviscerate.  Why don't we just
: say that Perl isn't for systems work anymore, and remove everything
: that diddles $!, : or $?, or anything that might call anything from
: the C library.

This is confusing Perl and perl again.  This is not terribly useful,
especially in -internals.  The degree to which Perl 6 (the language)
will be useful for systems work has almost nothing to do with the method
by which perl6 (the program) implements the given functionality.  In fact,
we're trying to *decouple* those ideas further so that we can more easily
add such functionality to Perl without forcing people to read miles of
camel entrails before they begin.  If we can make it run faster in
the process, that'll be even better.

We're redesigning everything.  And we'll do the best job we can with
the brains we've got.  We will bear people's fears in mind, but we will
not be controlled by such fears.  Rather, we will try to give fear its
proper weight--which is neither too much, nor too little.

Fasten your seat belts, folks.

Larry