i cc'ed to language as this issue spans then as well as internals.

  LW> We're fighting multiple definitions of "core" here.  Please distinguish
  LW> the core of the language from the core of the implementation--they're
  LW> two entirely different things.  What we're attempting to do here is
  LW> make it *not matter* whether something is in the core implementation or
  LW> not.  This gives us a great deal of freedom in how to implement the
  LW> core of the language.

the language vs. implementation core confusion has hit before. could we
come up with better terms which are not so overloaded? i suggest we drop
the use of core altogether for now and pick new terms. here are some ideas:

the Perl language base features

the perl binary/image/executable/main

i would use object but that is WAY too overloaded. i am sure we can pick
a pari of terms which are short and reflect our usage. we have too much
linguistic power on these lists to fight over core vs. core.

  LW> This should all be transparent at the language level.  Certainly
  LW> index() will continue to be supported in the core language.  But it
  LW> almost certainly belongs outside the core implementation.

i like that. but is that only platform implementation specific? i see a
possibility of requesting (via a pragma) an alternative implementation of
binary (see i used the new term!). something like this:

use library qw(Quantum::sort) ;

which would load the sort implementation with damian's constant time
sort and overload the sort function as well.

my advanced I/O rfc (to be released soon) uses something like that to
appease the language minimalists (sockets out of base language) and the
binary minimalists (sockets loaded as desired).

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting