On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 06:43:34PM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   ST> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
>   >> David L . Nicol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>   >> >
>   >> >does sysV shm not support the equivalent security as the file system?
>   >>
>   >> mmap() has the file system.
>
>   ST> I wasn't aware that mmap() was part of SysV shared memory.  My
>   ST> mistake?  It's not on the SysV IPC man pages on my Linux system.
>   ST> The mmap manpage doesn't mention SysV IPC either.
>
> mmap came from berkeley. i used it on early versions of sunos which was
> based on BSD. so calling it SysV IPC is wrong.

Yup.  I think somebody said that mmap() is POSIX.  It isn't.  POSIX
realtime extensions (and Single UNIX Spec) have shared memory objects,
which are different from either SysV IPC or mmap().  The smos have a
system-wide flat namespace, not connected to the usual filesystem
namespace (in the definition, that is, nobody of course forbids making
it visible)  mmap() is also in the SUS.

Executive summary: there are three different "shared memory" APIs.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen