Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It's not unreasonable to expect this sort of feature to possibly be used
> for more esoteric extensions to the perl core or commonly and heavily
> used extensions. I wouldn't, for example, want to always load in
> DBD::Oracle or a full complex math library (complete with FFT and
> gaussian filters) every time I was ripping through a text file.

> If the feature exists as part of the design from the start, it puts
> certain requirements for the lexer/parser and core interpreter that will
> make modularizing things a neccessity and thus functional for those
> situations where it is reasonable to do it.

Yes, this part I agree with... it's pretty close to our current dynamic
module system, though, isn't it?  Or is it the on-demand part specifically
that would be new?

Shared libraries opened at run-time make sense to me for things that make
a large and noticeable thud (such as DBD::Oracle with all the accompanying
Oracle shared libraries and whatnot) or things that are distributed
independently (which is where we pick up a whole bunch of stuff probably
not large enough to warrant a shared library by itself except that it just
makes things infinitely more convenient).

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>