> Are you  satisfied with this? I  think this is a  good compromise, and
> still powerful :-)

Me satisfied?  Well, kind of.  I see the need, I just disagree with
the proposed interface and extent. I will not comment on the subject
much more because I sense that soon we'll be hip deep in database
technology and as I said, I do not know that subject well.  What I
know is that trying to build thread-safety and atomicity to the Perl
core is decidedly non-trivial; all that should be the applications' concern.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen